Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Hail George Orwell

In an age of politically correct writing, even gearing the subconscious in a politically correct mode of thought, George Orwell's writing reeks of candour to the best possible level of journalistic perfection.

While you may freely disagree with his views, you must read his essays, just to learn with what clarity and simplicity it is possible to put your thoughts across.

I have read, re-read, and plan to re-read his essays.

Last night, I found an amazing online collection of almost all his essays. Some, which I had not even heard of before. I feel it my duty to pass on the link here, and hope that at least few good readers here would find time to read this master wordsmith.

My favourites are Shooting an Elephant, A Hanging, Books v. Cigarettes, The Prevention of Literature, In Defence of English Cooking, Why I Write, Some Thoughts on the Common Toad. Even his critique on Gandhi is an interesting read. For that matter, each piece written by Orwell is special, sensitive without being overtly emotional. For example, Looking Back on the Spanish War.

The direct link of the entire list is this: netcharles.com

Orwell is worth investing time in.




5 comments:

dharmabum said...

i am off to read it all, in time. thakns for sharing.

belated deepavali wishes to you and loved ones :)

Darshan Chande said...

I have read his novel Animal Farm. It's a classic, must-read book. Have you red that, Gauri?

Joe Pinto said...

Dear Gauri,

Thanks! You have anticipated George Orwell, one of my favourite writers, who was also a great journalist. So this is one of one of those writers you will find mentioned in my blog "Against the Tide".

- Joe.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Gauri, for the links, am going to read them soon.

Gauri Gharpure said...

Dharma-- I am glad u plan to read him.. Diwali ws fun, thnks

Darshan-- Yes. Tht's his first book I read. (Perhaps everyone begins with it), for Animal Farm and 1984 are his only two books which are easily available in bookshops. Take time out to read 1984 and his essays if u appreciated Animal Farm.. Also, other novels are pretty good. (Can u believe it, I got hold of Down and Out in Paris and London at a second hand shop, so very cheap...Lucky me)

Sir,
I am looking forward to read your thoughts on Orwell. Incidentally, I took to him in Ranade. Mr. Hardikar mentioned him and everyone seemed to have heard of him except me. I borrowed Animal Farm, and since then, have devoured whatever written by him I can lay my hands on..

Anu--- Long time Anu! Hope you are doing good and had a great Diwali. Don't miss on Orwell tht u have access to him now so easily, the netcharles.com site is a gem...