Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Of Brainvita, drawings and home

Though I checked my blog very frequently, a somewhat moody mindset kept me from writing anything. This also explains why comments remained unmoderated for quite a while. In between my no-write phase, I noticed my blog had jumped a page rank and now stands at a presentable 4. :) All in all, it's time to fill in here again...

My trip back home was good, but this time I realized with an errie finality that now my mind is quite settled here in Kolkata. More so than the touchy topic of choosing one of the two cities, it's about getting used to a particular lifestyle. I have become too used to my independent existence here and a little departure from routine, from my seclusion in the quiet afternoon hours makes me go very edgy.

I talked for long hours with my sister and tagged along with her to the many malls that have insanely cropped up in the city. In a few years, it seems malls will be within a hopping distance of everything and anything.

Aaji had kept aside a lot of precious little nothings for me to take away. So, I came back with a splendid wooden Brainvita plate designed on order. I always managed to leave one marble every single time (i regret i was just too lazy to use my 'genius' elsewhere) and the stall-owner at a school fair shooed me away after I won four Kit-Kats in a row...

She had also kept aside two drawing books. There were some incomplete drawings, one of which sis absolutely loved. I took out the book today and started completing the drawing. It's still not done, but looks cheerful.

How wonderful it would be if we could resume all things after such a silent, forgotten break?

12 comments:

causticji said...

Very soon, there will be malls within a hopping distance of everything even in Cal.

Brainvita reminds me of my childhood days. So does drawing - one of the things I never pursued. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

yeah....i was wondering where have you been..but welcome back after the break....that Brainvita looks so cool... :)

firaq darvesh said...

And i remember the Bournvita tins,the sweet smell you used to carry on your dusty cloths,moist palms,chubby cheeks with dark brown bournvita stains and your mischievous smiles......
Baba / 02-06-2009.

Anonymous said...

the drawings are beautiful:))
and yes it sure does look cheerful:))

I have no clue what a brainvita plate is:))

Dr. Ally Critter said...

Gauri, yours is a very refreshing blog to read.I always find something unique and interesting when I come here.

Anonymous said...

That Brainvita plate and those paintings are beautiful.

Rajesh said...

Very nice. Forget relocating to new city, I feel jittery in relocating to new area within the same city. Basically people do not like to move out of comfort zone unless there is a bigger pull.

The drawing/painting is beautiful

Unknown said...

Gauri dear, how many talents are hidden in your Pandora box-writing,beading,urdu and drawing...hats off to you.Would love to meet you in person some day!!

Gauri Gharpure said...

Kaushik- abt the malls, I am afraid so.. brainvita was a very fun preoccupation

Gaurav-- thnks for missing the blog! the wooden plate is one of the most beautiful knick-knacks i have ever got hold of :)

Baba, Indyeah- thanks. brainvita is a game with 32 marbles where u aim to keep the minimum possible marbles on the plate using certain rules.. they had ratings which went 4- practise more, 3- good,2-very intelligent, 1- you are a genius!!
:D

Alankrita-- and your appreciation always stands out on the blog :) thanks so much

Solio, Rajesh-- thanks :)

Comfort zone it is.. we resist getting out of it all the time..

Sara-- thanks so much for your lavish praise.. we would sure meet up sometime, who knows? doori kuch itni bhi khaas nahi hai :D

Butterfly said...

Very nice drawing and also a very nice blog. :-)

firaq darvesh said...

Dear Gauri,
It is quite a long time after your Brainvita,Paintings and home now !...Your paintings are really beautiful....but one universal thumb rool of creation dear.....the painting pallate and the palate of heart, both should remain wet with colours of our life, till we exsist, else the process of creativity stops unknowingly.....
Eager to read regularly on your this creative blog dear.
Baba.12-06-2009.06.24 hrs.

Arjun said...

My parents plan on moving to Kolkata too. What is it with this city?

And thanks a lot for your comments gauri, they mean a lot.